Looking Back at Google I/O with HTCDev

The last month has been quite a whirlwind for the HTCdev team.  Just a few weeks ago we attended the Windows Phone Developer Summit in San Francisco, and last week we were back in the city by the bay; this time for Google I/O.

Google’s biggest developer event, Google I/O is where they showcase their latest technologies and announce any new products.  Among the developers attending, Android has always been, perhaps, the most popular topic.  This year was no different, with the opening keynote announcing Android 4.1, nicknamed Jelly Bean.

Google I/O is always a great time for meeting and networking.  From the after-hours party with our friends from Sphero  (creators of everyone’s favorite Android-controlled robot ball) to meeting up with several developers from HTC elevate, we had plenty of time to talk about the news of the event and what it means for HTC and developers worldwide.

The HTCdev team is extremely excited about Jelly Bean and the new additions that have been added to Android’s SDK.  The advancements made by Android over the last few years, since the 2008 launch of the first Android smartphone, the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1), have been tremendous.

And we’re continuing to see Android evolve and mature.  When new advancements come to Android, we’re hard at work, continuing to deliver updates and new APIs to the HTC OpenSense SDK designed to improve the overall experience for Android developers creating apps that run great on HTC’s platform.

How about you?  After seeing everything announced at Google I/O, which of the new features of Jelly Bean are you most excited about and why?

56 Responses to “Looking Back at Google I/O with HTCDev”

1. Before i made any comments on Jelly Bean, it would be nice if i could at list try out the Ice Cream Sandwich, i hope try it in a few days, according to the timeline on this blog.

2. avatar mikecousins says:

Kind of hilarious seeing HTC talk about Jelly Bean.  They haven’t even pushed ICS yet.

• avatar ChuanTsay says:

Wouldn’t that make everything hilarious? There are a lot of companies who are talking about JB when ICS hasn’t hit their devices. HTC is usually the quickest to push updates.

• avatar mikecousins says:

Until they release the same day Google does it’s far too slow.  I had a Desire and Desire HD, but now only Nexus devices will do.

• avatar abc905 says:

relatively HTC may be fast, but 7 months is defintly not to be considered fast.

3. This post was very interesting to read. Just one question, any news on the HTC EVO 4G LTE’s source code being released?

4. much luv… most of the phones i owned were HTC Android thanx for being my Techdealers I am officially hooked on your devices ever since I owned a G1 I knew android had the potential to be such a threat to Apple. and when Apple banned the One S it proved they were scared of HTC and Android. Now that you have aligned yourselves with Dr. Dre Beats audio. Time to realize that the iPhone is inferior

5. avatar Apa Chen says:

Only one wish. We already knew that HTC will not update Desire Z to ICS. At least HTC should give us ICS kernel source code. Let community do that for you.

6. avatar Suhail Bushnag says:

i’m excited about having “Google Now” and the voice commend

7. avatar Havitoc Tee says:

I’m excited and interested with new announcement, features of jelly bean google have made/developed. But in other hand, question to HTC, when can we get the latest android os, Don’t say about Jelly Bean, how about ICS? when can we taste it.

8. avatar nagakumar799 says:

Is there any update of JellyBean for HTC Sensation XL ???????????????

9. Definitely Project Butter. The idea of finally being able to show all the iSheep that Android is now also faster than iOS sounds really great to me. However, one very important question remains: will we still notice Project Butter when Sense has been applied? I can only hope :)

10. You want us to get excited? deliver updates (specially jellybean) faster or release One X (evita) source code so the developer community can fill the gap.

11. FYI, samsung has already released the s3 kernel source.  Now that’s caring about customers.  Your turn HTC.

12. avatar Dhruv Maniktala says:

Big HTC fan. My last 3 phones were HTC– yes I had the 8525 before it was HTC branded. I’m holding off on getting the One X till Jelly Bean is announced for the device. Can’t buy a phone without Google Now :). Please release JB update for One X soon or you’ll push me to iPhone 5 when it comes out (sad– i know).

13. How about some Jelly Bean love for the HTC Vivid?

14. avatar Encarna Garcia says:

Great news, It would be great to see a list of phones that will be updated and when as you did with ICS (you did it too late in my opinion) so we know if HTC should be our next phone brand or not…

PD: Proud owner of HTC evo 3d

• avatar Leigh says:

Hi Encarna – stayed tuned to our Facebook page or Twitter account for info regarding device updates to Jelly Bean.

Nice, rockin’ the EVO 3D!! :D

15. avatar Felix Piavsky says:

Hey,
    4.1 is cool, however how about releasing ICS for the desire s?
    the phone is very similar to the one v, the test-keys is out long time ago, and its mid July already

16. avatar Pedro Morais says:

Project Butter and Google Now… Looking forward to have both on my ONE S…

17. avatar Tony ZhaoCheng Tan says:

You want us to get excited? Deliver Jelly Bean updates faster or release One X (endeavor) source code so the XDA developer community can work to fill the gap!

18. avatar william says:

This is certainly such a great contraption that you are rendering and you deliver it separate for zero cost. I love looking at websites that know the valuation of giving a superior source of information for zero cost. It is the older what exactly approximately is available close to regular.

19. avatar Rupak Mishra says:

whats the minimum configuration for jelly bean ??????
    Is HTC Sensation XE 2715e update Jelly bean ?

• avatar abc905 says:

And android phone that runs android can run jelly bean. Its up to HTC’s whim whether we get it or not.

20. will the htc sensation receive the JellyBean Update?

21. avatar ali_1980_iran says:

HTC please update DHD
    htc do it please
    htc is Liar ????

22. avatar Aquenous says:

Does HTC Sensation qualify ro recieve Jelly Bean upgrade?

23. avatar Evgeniy Savchuck says:

update desire HD with ICS or JB!!!

24. avatar Saurabh Tripathi says:

How to get Jelly Bean for HTC one X ????? if someone can tell me

25. avatar karthick raja says:

It will be great, If HTC provides Jelly bean update for HTC Sensation XE

26. You should sack YOUR dev team. They don’t deserve to be there. They can’t even get ICS or JB working properly on HTC desire HD. Or don’t want to more like. Strange that a device with the same spec and hardware is to be updated.

H(orrible) T(iawanese) C(ompany) for conning we DHD owners like this.

HTC dev team will probably be out of a job soon anyway when HTC goes bust.

27. avatar Wishnu DM says:

I want to know when exactly my desire s get the ics update..and please don’t give this crap statement “Stayed tuned to our Facebook page or Twitter account for info bla bla bla..” I dont want to end up like htc dhd owners…and I want to know NOW…

28. avatar Jason says:

HTC cancels Desire HD update to ICS, 收撚皮喇你!!!!!!!

29. avatar Dinkyrools says:

DHD LOVER     DOES ANYBODY AT htc READ………..I THINK htc CAN,T HELP US….LITERALLY….THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR DEPTH…..SHOULD HAVE TOLD THE TRUTH….PS…..htc flyer no upgrade…great device,shit software… htc NEW NOKIA……Beginning of the END….

30. avatar gullapalli phani says:

hi MOmii , i had a htc one x phone… this battery is unremovable … how it works for 4-5 years?
    in case any problem with battery it a big change..i defenetely change the whole mobile device…
    pls give reply…

31. avatar Deyan Kosteski says:

is there an estimated due date for the android 4.1 jellybean update?

32. avatar Aiman Afzam says:

i excited if HTC release jellybean update for my Sensation Xe

33. avatar Wishnu DM says:

yuhu Ms Leigh…where is my ics update?..my desire s is still waiting here…

34. avatar Nig says:

Has HTC forgotten its other phones???? Why only one series?? Upgrades only for one serious… When is my phone Desire C getting its latest updates???

35. Will the htc sensation receive Sense 4.0(or 4.1) ?

36. avatar kopal says:

I Just wana say that i want android jelly bean in htc sensation xe also asap. if u have made models u should care about it also.

37. avatar kopal says:

I HAVE LISTENING HUMOURS EVERYWHERE THAT THEY WON’T RELEASE JB FOR SENSATION XE. WHATS THIS RUBBISH. U SHOULD THINK ABOUT XE USERS ALSO. U CANT DISCARD US SIMPLY LIKE THAT. :X

38. avatar NICK TOM says:

how can i install jelly bean in my HTC One S

39. avatar NICK TOM says:

how can i get jelly bean in my htc one s??? what do i have todo? if someone could tell me please

40. avatar RE says:

Hello HTC when we will get the jelly bean update for HTC one X in Singapore?

41. avatar Joshua Bohn says:

HTC desire X. I have one, and I like it. If it gets jelly bean me and other owners will be happy. If it doesn’t a happy customer will go elsewhere for my next smartphone! Please HTC don’t let me down!

42. avatar Fahad Ahsan says:

how to apply themes on htc