HTC BlinkFeed Tips and Tricks

HTC BlinkFeed is the go-to hub on your new HTC One for the day’s headlines and latest from your friends. If you’re familiar with HTC BlinkFeed basics, such as adding a new topic or moving to the next article by just swiping left or right, here are a few advanced tips so you can get the most out of your stream.

Jump to the top of your BlinkFeed stream

Scrolled pretty far down your stream and want to quickly jump to the top? Simply tap the notifications area at the top of your screen (where you see the clock and cellular signal indicators) and you’ll jump to the top of your feed. Easy!

Keep in touch

With BlinkFeed, you don’t need to go far to check your friends’ social network status updates. You’ll see their posts once you’ve signed in to your Facebook, Twitter, or other account and added it as a BlinkFeed service.

HTC BlinkFeed - Posting to social networks

But did you know you can also post your own status update right from BlinkFeed? Pull down slightly on your BlinkFeed stream and hold for a moment until the menu bar slides down from the top of the screen. Tap the pencil icon and choose which social network you want to post to. You can also directly write on a friend’s Facebook timeline by tapping the “Post to” button and choosing a contact. Add a photo to your post to really get some attention.

Show updates from HTC apps

BlinkFeed isn’t just for news and social content, you can also view updates from HTC apps. Don’t miss important meetings by having calendar events show in your stream. Relive past events by adding photo and video highlights from your gallery. Plan out your TV watching by seeing which of your favorites are showing that day.

BlinkFeed - Viewing app updates

To switch your view to only see updates from apps, slide down and hold your BlinkFeed stream until the menu shows. Tap the left drop-down arrow (the default is “Highlights”), and then scroll down the menu and select “Apps”.

Manage your data usage

If you’re on a limited data plan or know you’ll be out of the country in data-roaming mode, you can set BlinkFeed to refresh content only when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. To change the data mode, slide down and hold your BlinkFeed stream, then tap the menu button and select “Settings” > “Auto refresh” > “Using Wi-Fi”.

HTC BlinkFeed - Changing connection settings

Get a global view

HTC has partnered with providers around the world to offer you content targeted to your region and language. Curious what is happening in another country? You can change the local content sources that feed into your BlinkFeed. This is also handy when you’re travelling abroad and want to stay updated with local news. Want a more global perspective? Try choosing “Global English” for a selection of news sources with international coverage.

HTC BlinkFeed - Getting a global view

To make the change, open the BlinkFeed menu bar (slide down and hold on your stream) and tap the menu button. Then go to “Settings” > “Local content”. After selecting the region, choose which news sources and categories that you want.

Focus on the best content

Does a busy day leave you only with enough time to catch the highlights? BlinkFeed makes it easy. In the BlinkFeed header, tap the left dropdown (it will likely say “Highlights”) and then three-dotted menu icon beside “Highlights”. You can then choose which combination of content to show – such as just trending topics and HTC apps.

HTC BlinkFeed - Choosing highlights

Change your home screen

You can also change your main Home screen to the standard Android home screen. In BlinkFeed, go to “Settings” > “Personalize” > “Customize home screen”. Press and hold the panel that you want, and then drag it to “Set as home”.

HTC BlinkFeed - Changing your homescreen

What’s keeping you hooked in your feed? Share your favorite content, interesting finds, and own tips in the comments below.

42 Responses to “HTC BlinkFeed Tips and Tricks”

1. avatar Ahmad Abdel-Aziz says:

Aw, thanks for the amazing tips, Raymond.
    I’m now setting the BlinkFeed to show MEA International.
    With variety of REASONS news and still can see tech and movies news from around the world.

2. avatar Andrew Lone says:

thanks for some great tips

3. avatar Gordon Christie says:

Thanks for tips I don’t get my hands on mine till the weekend but can’t wait to try all the amazing features. Glad you made awhat is considered to be the best phone on market once again.

4. avatar Dimana says:

Thanks for the tips, even though we already know them (at least some of us).

I wanted to ask why when I click the “Apps” in the BlinkFeed it doesn’t show any content and there’s no way to customize which apps I want to see there?
    Additionally, when I’m switched to Facebook in BlinkFeed all I see are posts from pages of businesses/blogs ect. I liked and none of my friends. That needs to change somehow.
    Additionally if you add local content for Bulgaria it will be awe-so-me!

Overall I love, love, love, adore, just frikin’ love my HTC One ;)

Thank you guys!

• avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi Dimana,

Happy to share. With regard to apps, if you don’t have upcoming content from an app (say, calendar appointments for later in the day or upcoming TV shows) it won’t show anything.

With regard to Facebook, it may take a short amount of time for friend posts to be prioritized. We’re regularly improving the algorithm though, so it should get better.

As for sources, we’re constantly adding new ones, so hopefully there will be some more relevant ones for you soon!

5. avatar Berto Maia says:

I dont see Lifehacker but I do see Gawker. Is there a reason why? On Sprint. Thanks

6. avatar Rolf Brandser says:

Hello, i really Emily my blinkfeed, But what about option to get news in the feed from, say, Norway and Sweden at the same time?

• avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi Rolf, We’re still adding new content providers so hopefully some of your favorites will be added!

• avatar Rolf Brandser says:

Emily=enjoy, autospell lol.
        Now, what I ment was an option to get news from two different countries at the same time. As of now I have Sweden/international. I would like Sweden+norway+international.

7. avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi Ijan, Try resetting your password and trying again. If that doesn’t work, you could try contact our customer service staff: http://www.htc.com/support

8. avatar Honey Money says:

Hi,
    Recently I have bought HTC One and enjoyed the Blinkfeed feature in both WIFI and Data mode. But now I want to use it only in WIFI mode. When I go to settings I see the “Auto Refresh” Button is disabled, due to which I am not able to revert back to WIFI. could you pls help me in this.

• avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi, I just checked on my version and I wasn’t able to reproduce this. Are you connected to the internet via data or WiFi when trying to change the settings?

If you’re still having trouble, I suggest contacting our support staff: http://www.htc.com/support/

• avatar Honey Money says:

Hi Darren thanks for the reply,I was connected to internet via Data. Now i am facing other issues, my apps(installed apps like whatsapp, viber etc) are not working..Eventhough I am connected to internet it shows a message “you are not connected check your connection”, whereas I can check my emails, connect to facebook, twitter thatis all my apps came with my mobile are working.
        Android version: 4.2.2
        Software nUmber : 2.24.707.3
        HTC SDK API level: 5.34
        If i reset my mobile to factory settings will my datas get deleted too, like contacts, prictures, videos.

9. avatar helder says:

it is possible to see on the blinkfeed (htc one) news in my country language (portuguese)?

10. avatar Andrew Lone says:

Great tips

11. avatar Mike Myers says:

Coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I’ve been able to organize my apps into the five home screens available. Four of my pages had “apps”, and one had a large calendar.

With my new HTC One Developer Edition, I’ve still got five home screens, but one is taken up with something I don’t have any use for. I didn’t use similar apps before, and I’m unlikely to start Blinking. I’m hoping to find some way to make this otherwise wasted space useful to me – it’s 20% of the available screen for “my” use.

Great phone so far – am very pleased with it, but come on now, why force people to lose so much of their screen space, when they have no interest in Blinky? If you’ve got to include it, just provide one small icon, which when clicked opens up the whole thing. Please.

12. avatar mvniekerk says:

Where’s the “off” button?

13. avatar Jamie says:

BLINK FEED IS LIKE RSS FEEDS BUT I LIKE BLINK FEED BEST IT IS MORE UI

14. avatar Rayben says:

I found a bug with blink feed, if you go to topics and services, then swipe to services and apps,I can’t login to instagram for HTC sense or Flickr for HTC sense, even though I definitely have the correct email/password.

15. avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi Rick, The link and information should automatically appear in the message box. If it doesn’t work the first time, try it with another article. Our team is making improvements to BlinkFeed, so if it is an issue, it will likely be addressed in a patch.

16. avatar AndyH says:

Can we have localised sports, news, feeds for Scotland?

• avatar HTC Social Team says:

BlinkFeed does not currently allow you to add outside content channels to your feed, but we currently provide content from more than 1,400 sources and are adding new ones every day.

17. avatar HTC Social Team says:

18. avatar Tanner Ideker says:

In blinkfeed under the weather app, under hourly weather tab its only in military time. How do you change this? Its totally annoying!

19. avatar Darren Krape says:

Hi, this should be covered under the system language. You can change this in Settings > Language & Keyboard > System language. Then choose from the list of languages.